(USA) Director, Product Management - Marketplace
- Location SAN BRUNO, CA
- Career Area Product Management
- Job Function Product Management
- Employment Type Regular/Permanent
- Position Type Salary
- Requisition R-1712659
What you'll do...
About the team:
As part of Walmart's Customer Product org, the Marketplace, Verticals, and Holidays (MVH) org is steadfast in its pursuit of excellence and innovation. The mission of the Marketplace team within MVH is to spearhead initiatives that offer unparalleled value to our customers, while simultaneously fostering the growth and success of our Marketplace sellers. The Verticals team is tasked with curating unique, end-to-end shopping experiences tailored to diverse customer needs, ensuring a holistic shopping journey whether customers are in phases of inspiration, research, or task completion. The Holidays focus is clear-cut: to craft a frictionless site-to-store journey, empowering customers to seamlessly discover and secure the best deals. Across these areas, the MVH org works diligently to push the boundaries of retail excellence.
Our leadership paradigm? Pure empowerment. The principle is straightforward: equip, space, trust. We’re in the relentless pursuit of the right talent because culture isn’t just a buzzword – it's the undercurrent of unmatched results.
When scouting for talent, we're discerning. The SPOTAKE lens guides us:
- Smart: Beyond academics and accolades. We’re talking about adaptive intelligence,
- restless curiosity, and the craft to decode complexities.
- Passionate: We’re after the fervor. Those whose commitment isn’t just a paycheck deep but rooted in a bigger vision.
- Optimistic: Visionaries welcome. We’re on the hunt for the audacious ones who bank on potential and rally around collective faith.
- Tenacious: No room for quitters. We value those with the resolve to navigate storms and invent routes when roads don’t exist.
- Adaptable: The playbook changes. We crave the agile; those unphased by the new and the now, always ready for the next pivot.
- Kind: It’s foundational. An ecosystem built on respect, trust, and genuine regard.
- Empathy: The silent powerhouse. It’s about resonating with others, genuinely and profoundly.
About the role:
The Director of Product Management for Marketplace will play a dual role at Walmart: enhancing the digital experience for millions while championing the success of our Marketplace sellers. By leading a forward-thinking team of Product Managers, this leader will craft influential and consumer-centric shopping solutions across our digital touchpoints. The underlying vision? To subtly evolve our platform, catering not just to a vast product range but also to a broader scope of aspirations. Balancing customer-centricity with seller growth, this role will navigate challenges on an impressive scale, always with an eye to the future.
Key deliverables and impact:
- Strategic Vision: Define the overarching vision and strategies for the product family, drawing from domain expertise, market trends, internal and external best practices, and by spotting market opportunities.
- Business Alignment & Analysis: Drive business plans and projects by identifying customer and operational needs, analyzing business objectives, and ensuring alignment around strategy, focus areas, and key decisions.
- Product Development: Manage and steer product roadmaps, aligning business and technical requirements, transforming customer insights into actionable strategies, determining product rollout schemes, and mitigating risks.
- Data-Driven Decision Making: Utilize metrics, analytics, and other data sources to enhance product performance, make informed decisions, and refine product strategies.
- Complex Problem Solving: Address and resolve intricate, ambiguous challenges, ensuring a customer-centric approach in execution.
- Team Building & Mentorship: Foster a team-centric environment by hiring, training, mentoring, and overseeing a team of product managers, while championing diversity and inclusion.
- Collaborative Leadership: Establish and nurture relationships with key partners, prioritizing initiatives in line with business goals and gaining buy-in from leadership.
- Lifecycle Management: Oversee the entire product lifecycle, from initial requirement definitions and research, to development, testing, and post-launch efforts.
- Stakeholder Communication: Build and communicate alignment around the product's direction, liaising with a broad spectrum of stakeholders, including engineers, designers, and partners.
- Agile Methodology: Embrace an agile work ethic, adopting a test and learn mentality to continuously improve and adapt products based on feedback and evolving needs.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or related area and 10 years’ experience in product management.
- At least 5 years of experience in Retail / eCommerce product management with experience driving big, impactful end-to-end initiatives from front-end (customer experience) to back-end (inventory, fulfillment). Preference on driving on big, Holiday-related initiatives such as Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and other seasonal events.
- At least 3 years of experience successfully leading a team of Product Managers.
- Strong technical background with a deep understanding of software development processes, methodologies and experience contributing to designing technical architecture.
- Strong business acumen, with experience working with Business Unit/Vertical GMs in supporting profit and loss objectives and driving revenue and customer growth via building tailored, vertical customer experiences specific to those businesses.
- Solid understanding of the flow of the inventory from suppliers all the way to the customer’s doorstep.
- Adept at diving deep into REST API responses, crafting visions with Balsamiq sketches, and turning raw ideas into tangible mocks on Sketch or Figma.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no minimum qualifications.Option 1: Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or related area and 11 years’ experience in product management. Option 2: 13 years’ experience in product management or related area.
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred qualifications.Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Business Administration, or related area and 10 years’ experience as a product manager, ideally working on consumer-facing, large-scale, highly complex B2B/C products, Supervisory experience Masters: Business Administration, Masters: Computer Engineering, Masters: Computer Science
Primary Location...850 Cherry Avenue, San Bruno, CA 94066-3031, United States of America
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer- By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers, and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting, and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, abilities, ideas and opinions- while being inclusive of all people.