VP, Weather Operations and Strategy CBS News & Stations
CBS News and Stations is looking for a Vice President/Director of Weather Strategy and Operations - an experienced News Director and leader who will work on weather driven collaboration, storytelling and product development for broadcast and digital media across CBS News, Stations, CMV.
This position will work directly with the President of Content Development/Integration for CBS News, Stations and CMV to build an innovative weather team that will bring together our meteorologists, climate correspondents, our technology and partners to reimagine our weather and climate coverage across News & Stations.
This leader will work with the teams to build premium weather content across all News & Stations platforms.
Must be a highly collaborative problem solver, a proven leader, and have a passion for all things weather and meteorology. The ideal candidate needs to adopt new technology, be able to build a plan to scale across all platforms, must be strong able to mentor and develop the weather teams across the group, and be willing to explore new ways to present the weather story.
- Recruit top leaders in the weather space to build the central weather team.
- Drive collaboration between stations by promoting real-time content sharing to increase efficiency and optimize our existing and emerging weather technology investments.
- Promote VR/AR adoption including presenting weather within virtual studios and simulated spaces to captivate viewers and hold their attention.
- Work closely with Senior Producer – Climate Coverage to cultivate a greater relationship with non-profit organizations like Climate Central for white-label weather and climate content that is local, interesting, and purposeful.
- Promote the development of new weather content revenue opportunities including weather forecast franchises and technology sponsorships.
- Experience: a proven track record of success in news and weather content, with at least 10 years of continuous leadership experience, News Director preferred
- Leadership: Proven ability to encourage a diverse journalism team, fostering collaboration across multiple news groups
- Build a strategy to collaborate with premium content teams, and groups like the news operations and transformation unit.
- Knowledge: Deep understanding of news and weather content, specific emphasis on severe weather
- Strategic Vision: Strong critical thinking and analytical skills to identify growth opportunities.
- Relationship Building: Strong interpersonal and communication skills to cultivate and maintain valuable client relationships.
- Travel: Willingness to travel at times to various markets.
CBS News and Stations, brings together the power of CBS News, 28 owned television stations in 17 major U.S. markets, the CBS News Streaming Network, CBS News Streaming local platforms, local websites and cbsnews.com, under one umbrella. CBS News and Stations is home to the nation’s #1 news program 60 MINUTES, the CBS News Streaming Network, the first 24/7 digital streaming news network, the award-winning broadcasts CBS MORNINGS, CBS SATURDAY MORNING, the CBS EVENING NEWS WITH NORAH O’DONNELL, CBS SUNDAY MORNING, CBS WEEKEND EVENING NEWS, 48 HOURS and FACE THE NATION WITH MARGARET BRENNAN. CBS News and Stations provides news and information for the CBS Television Network, CBSNews.com, CBS News Radio and podcasts, Paramount +, all digital platforms, and the CBS News Streaming Network, the premier 24/7 anchored streaming news service that is available free to everyone with access to the internet. The CBS News Streaming Network is the destination for breaking news, live events, original reporting and storytelling, and programs from CBS News and Stations’ top anchors and correspondents working locally, nationally and around the globe. CBS News’ streaming services, across national and local, amassed more than 1.01 billion streams in 2021. Launched in November 2014 as CBSN, the CBS News Streaming Network is available on 30 digital platforms and apps, as well as CBSNews.com and Paramount+. The service is available live in 91 countries. CBS News and Stations is dedicated to providing the highest quality journalism under standards it pioneered and continues to set in today’s digital age. CBS News earns more prestigious journalism awards than any other broadcast news division.
Hiring Salary Range: $203,200.00 - 254,000.00.
The hiring salary range for this position applies to New York, California, Colorado, Washington state, and most other geographies. Starting pay for the successful applicant depends on a variety of job-related factors, including but not limited to geographic location, market demands, experience, training, and education. The benefits available for this position include medical, dental, vision, 401(k) plan, life insurance coverage, disability benefits, tuition assistance program and PTO or, if applicable, as otherwise dictated by the appropriate Collective Bargaining Agreement. This position is bonus eligible.
Paramount is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet.
At Paramount, the spirit of inclusion feeds into everything that we do, on-screen and off. From the programming and movies we create to employee benefits/programs and social impact outreach initiatives, we believe that opportunity, access, resources and rewards should be available to and for the benefit of all. Paramount is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, and Veteran status.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access. https://www.paramount.com/careers as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by calling 212.846.5500 or by sending an email to [email protected]. Only messages left for this purpose will be returned.