Director, Hardware Product Design
Google welcomes people with disabilities.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Design, Manufacturing, or equivalent practical experience.
- 15 years of experience managing engineering teams.
- 10 years of experience leading mechanical engineering projects and teams.
- Master's degree or PhD in Mechanical Engineering.
- Experience contributing to strategic leadership of engineering functions and product roadmap.
- Experience in high-volume consumer electronics mechanical architecture and systems design.
- Knowledge of technologies used in consumer products (e.g., Plastic Injection Molding, Sheet Metal, Extrusion, Die Casting, Antenna/Sensor design requirement, Materials, Operations, Processes, Sustainability, etc.).
- Ability to form cross-functional relationships and communicate product design/mechanical requirements clearly to non-technical audiences.
- Ability to lead a team and deliver multiple large, complex, and mission-critical projects.
About the job
In this role, you will participate in the design, analysis, and prototyping of concepts. You will partner with an Industrial Design team, cross-functional engineering and manufacturing teams on a collaborative Google Pixel team. You will work closely with outside manufacturing and design partners and suppliers and own design functions from concept through production ramp.
You will develop and guide a team of Mechanical/Product Design engineers and related disciplines in Taipei. You will build a collaborative relationship with Google’s Industrial Design, User Experience, and Product Management teams to create functional consumer products.
In this role, you will use your experience to influence product direction and hardware architecture. You will ensure the team has access to the right training, tools, and best practices to build reliable, scalable systems. You will help the team find creative solutions to challenges while working with cross-functional subject matter experts and product management to identify strategic technologies and processes for long-term research and development.
Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful. Our Devices & Services team combines the best of Google AI, Software, and Hardware to create radically helpful experiences for users. We research, design, and develop new technologies and hardware to make our user's interaction with computing faster, seamless, and more powerful. Whether finding new ways to capture and sense the world around us, advancing form factors, or improving interaction methods, the Devices & Services team is making people's lives better through technology.
- Manage and develop/mentor a high-performing, collaborative and inclusive Product Design team.
- Manage the team for technical depth and innovative ideas and solve issues associated with the product development path.
- Develop a technology roadmap to support future product development and be responsible for understanding and resolving all reliability concerns for designs.
- Partner with Industrial Design and Reliability to meet the product requirements.
- Build consensus among cross-functional teams, influence executive-level decisions, empower the engineering team, collaborate with peers, and communicate with the executive leadership team.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.
Something looks off?